Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19
  1. #1

    DOA Battle Calculator

    I have a completed beta version of a dragons of atlantis battle calculator. I say beta because their are some features i am still tweaking. i wanted to ask if anyone here would be interested in having this tool available to you. I have also considered making this calculator available for purchase. No it wouldent be pricy at all maybe 15$. Please give me your input. thxs Also if i would be allowed to advertise this product on these forums please let me know.

  2. #2
    New Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Albany, Oregon
    Posts
    6
    It sounds interesting. Before I'd actually pay for it though, I'd like to see some test reports comparing predictions with actual outcomes and it'd have to be very easy to install and use. I'll put up with buggy, clunky software if it's free, but if I have to pay I'm much more picky.

    Also, have you built in any sort of probability checker that allows it to rate it's own predictions or does it give a range for likely numbers of losses?

    I have my doubts about you being allowed to advertise a straight-up purchase only item on this forum; you might be able to if it's shareware or something like 'contributions requested but not mandatory'. Don't take my word for it though, I'm just a community member here. I've seen links for DoA Helper, but that's free.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    195
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyRedz View Post
    I have a completed beta version of a dragons of atlantis battle calculator. I say beta because their are some features i am still tweaking. i wanted to ask if anyone here would be interested in having this tool available to you. I have also considered making this calculator available for purchase. No it wouldent be pricy at all maybe 15$. Please give me your input. thxs Also if i would be allowed to advertise this product on these forums please let me know.
    I think by legal law you can't charge for it because the maker of DOA could sue you for royalties and you would also have to have permission from them to do this. Because for all set purposes you would be profiting off of their game with your product. So I would seek out the legalities via a lawyer before pursuing a business venture such as what you are suggesting. You don't want to get sued for making money off a copyrighted game using a tool that would enhance the gaming experience of the copyrighted game. As I said before they would be entitled to royalties or even all of the money you make if you peruse this without their permission. So as I said before, get you some legal advice from a lawyer that deals in business. Find out your rights and what rights you don't have. You don't want to wind up with a lawsuit in your lap.

  4. #4
    Expert Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    868
    Yep the DoA helper is free so he isn't profiting off of DoA he's just helping out the players if you want to charge for your battle calc you'll need the devs permission to do so.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    195
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyRedz View Post
    I have a completed beta version of a dragons of atlantis battle calculator. I say beta because their are some features i am still tweaking. i wanted to ask if anyone here would be interested in having this tool available to you. I have also considered making this calculator available for purchase. No it wouldent be pricy at all maybe 15$. Please give me your input. thxs Also if i would be allowed to advertise this product on these forums please let me know.
    Btw I would never purchase a product that was not endorsed by DOA first because that would be like stealing from them. If you want to create a tool and profit from it, get permission first, and make sure it is a notarized legal contract giving you the permission to do so. If you don't have a contract granting you permission your best bet is to just make it and give it to the public for free. Otherwise you would have a lot of hassle and heart-ache in your corner if they found out you were profiting from it.

  6. #6
    Thxs for your advice all. I am actually in communication now working out the details. If i am unable to receive their blessing this will be hosted for free, Relunctently.

    "It sounds interesting. Before I'd actually pay for it though, I'd like to see some test reports comparing predictions with actual outcomes and it'd have to be very easy to install and use. I'll put up with buggy, clunky software if it's free, but if I have to pay I'm much more picky.
    Also, have you built in any sort of probability checker that allows it to rate it's own predictions or does it give a range for likely numbers of losses? "

    The answer is yes i have built in a probabilty of 10 attacks. ofcourse thats not even neccasary you can click attack over and over again and witness the outcome right infront of you. I have made a website that gives explanation and some images, unfortunetly i cannot advertise the link here as it goes against the terms of service for this community page. Im only thinking of selling it because it is accurate and nothing like it has been made before. the free DOA helper hosted on these forums has features that at this point i dont have in my calculoator, but the battle simulator itself far exceeds what doahelper does.

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    57
    Quote Originally Posted by Crysis View Post
    Yep the DoA helper is free so he isn't profiting off of DoA he's just helping out the players if you want to charge for your battle calc you'll need the devs permission to do so.
    If you want to create a tool and profit from it, get permission first, and make sure it is a notarized legal contract giving you the permission to do so

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    U.S.A. (North East)
    Posts
    11
    this sounds like an interesting tool,, I would be willing to run some test on it for you -n- write a review for you, I unfortunately wouldn't be able to pay for the tool,, being disabled just no founds available..
    sent U a friend request so if you'd like to talk about this tool you can get ahold of me..
    Thank You for taking the time to read this .
    J.W.

  9. #9
    Advanced Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    143
    WARNING: I am not a lawyer, although I believe I have a pretty good grasp of copyright, trademark and patent law and how it interacts with software.
    WARNING: I am in North America, my views are based in US & Canada law.
    WARNING: For the remainder of this thread, everything I say is assuming that DirtyRedz hasn't used any artwork or music from DoA.

    Quote Originally Posted by Noyeh View Post
    I think by legal law you can't charge for it
    Wrong. DirtyRedz can charge for the products of his labour if they wants.

    Quote Originally Posted by Noyeh View Post
    because the maker of DOA could sue you for royalties
    Wrong. That sentence fragment doesn't even make legal sense.

    Quote Originally Posted by Noyeh View Post
    and you would also have to have permission from them to do this.
    Wrong. Now, if DirtyRedz wanted to incorporate artwork from the game into their calculator, that would require permission otherwise it would be a copyright infringement. Just using public knowledge to make a product that works with another product is a fine and okay thing to do. Check out all the 3rd party products you can buy for your XBox, Wii and PS3. After-market rims, tailpipes, headlights? All okay.

    Quote Originally Posted by Noyeh View Post
    Because for all set purposes you would be profiting off of their game with your product.
    Wrong. DirtyRedz would be profiting from their own product that works with DoA. That is allowed.

    Quote Originally Posted by Noyeh View Post
    So I would seek out the legalities via a lawyer before pursuing a business venture such as what you are suggesting.
    This is correct. Always check with a lawyer if you have doubts about the law. Find one that specializes in software and IP law. However, I am 95% that the lawyer will tell you its okay.

    Quote Originally Posted by Noyeh View Post
    You don't want to get sued
    No one wants to get sued.

    Quote Originally Posted by Noyeh View Post
    for making money off a copyrighted game
    Unless DirtyRedz incorporates artwork or music or interface look and feel (a sort of artwork) they're making money off their own product, not someone else's.

    Quote Originally Posted by Noyeh View Post
    using a tool that would enhance the gaming experience of the copyrighted game.
    Tools interoperate with other things. That's how tools work, and it is okay to make tools. And profit from them.

    Quote Originally Posted by Noyeh View Post
    As I said before they would be entitled to royalties or even all of the money you make if you peruse this without their permission.
    Wrong.

    Quote Originally Posted by Noyeh View Post
    So as I said before, get you some legal advice from a lawyer that deals in business. Find out your rights and what rights you don't have. You don't want to wind up with a lawsuit in your lap.
    A lawyer that specializes in software and IP law. Generally, you have the right to make something that interoperates with something else.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    377
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyRedz View Post
    Thxs for your advice all. I am actually in communication now working out the details. If i am unable to receive their blessing this will be hosted for free, Relunctently.

    "It sounds interesting. Before I'd actually pay for it though, I'd like to see some test reports comparing predictions with actual outcomes and it'd have to be very easy to install and use. I'll put up with buggy, clunky software if it's free, but if I have to pay I'm much more picky.
    Also, have you built in any sort of probability checker that allows it to rate it's own predictions or does it give a range for likely numbers of losses? "

    The answer is yes i have built in a probabilty of 10 attacks. ofcourse thats not even neccasary you can click attack over and over again and witness the outcome right infront of you. I have made a website that gives explanation and some images, unfortunetly i cannot advertise the link here as it goes against the terms of service for this community page. Im only thinking of selling it because it is accurate and nothing like it has been made before. the free DOA helper hosted on these forums has features that at this point i dont have in my calculoator, but the battle simulator itself far exceeds what doahelper does.
    can you PM me the link?
    http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_wLQjmB978h...lue-Dragon.jpg
    The slayer of all shadows...

    Need to re-read the Rules of Conduct? Go to Rules of Conduct
    Need to file a Support Ticket? Go to Customer Help (no longer works) (The new support can be located HERE)
    Want some basic information? Go to Support Home
    Want information from fellow experienced players? Go to the Dragonomicon
    [COLOR="#FF0000"]Me posting as a MODERATOR[/COLOR] / [COLOR="#FFF0F5"]Me posting as a PLAYER[/COLOR]


 
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Social links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
   Top